ultra-high purity alumina
Daniele Fregonese, SVP for Sales and Marketing at Advanced Energy Minerals, explains the benefits of the company’s SupALOX™ sustainably manufactured ultra-high purity alumina
Advanced Energy Minerals (AEM) manufacture ultra-high purity alumina (HPA) at our full-scale production plant at Cap-Chat, Quebec, Canada, which we market under our SupALOX™ brand. Powered by hydroelectricity, using our patent-protected and proprietary Chlorine Leach - Crystalline Purification (CLCP) production process and utilising a locally sourced feedstock, the Cap-Chat plant has an industry-leading low carbon footprint. It produces nearly zero waste and can deliver up to 99.999% pure alumina (5N HPA) at globally competitive prices. It is particularly well placed to supply North American and European markets.
What are the uses of high purity alumina?
• Already in well-established use as a ceramic coating to the polymer separator in lithium-ion batteries;
• Seeing emerging use as a coating to anodes and cathodes: and,
• Exhibiting potential uses in solid-state electrolytes.
What is SupALOX™ high purity alumina?
• Particle size – as a powder in a range of particle size distributions, down to a minimum D50 of 200 nm;
• Densification – as sintered pucks to a maximum specific gravity of 3.8; and
• Doping – for example, for the manufacture of spinel.
Future research and developments for our CLCP process
• Applying and developing learnings from the CapChat plant to incorporate a range of process and value engineering improvements in our CLCP process. We recently completed a feasibility study for a second production plant located in the UK with financial support from the UK Government’s Automotive Transformation Fund. This work enabled us to advance this next generation design substantially. It will inform our plans not just for the UK but also for expanding the Cap-Chat plant and establishing plants in other locations;
• Researching ways of augmenting our CLCP process to produce powders and suspensions of nano-sized (<10 nm) particles of HPA and other high purity compounds of aluminium, particularly for battery applications. We are partnering with a leading supplier of natural graphite active anode material as a part of this work; and
• Developing a new form of HPA, which is expected to offer significant productivity gains to manufacturers of synthetic sapphire.